Sunday, November 15, 2009

Primary Program Bribery

Well, today was the day! It was the first time our sweet, oh-so hyper son would perform in front of the entire church congregation with all the other children ages 4-12 in the annual Primary Program Presentation. I have to admit I was nervous. We hadn't really practiced the songs with Taylor (mostly just because we are bad parents, but also because we knew he didn't really like to sit still and sing in the first place). Nevertheless, we had practiced his "lines" over and over again just in hopes that MAYBE he would get it right. Then, we resorted to what any good parents would do.....we bribed him!

Just before he walked to the pulpit, I quietly reminded him, "Don't forget son. If you sing loud, I will let you have cake tonight." Boy did I eat my words. Our adorable and well-dressed son was the star of the show. Not only did he sing, but he belted every word (at least the ones he knew) louder than any other kid there. He was completly off tune, but man did the kid sing! We were so proud of him. I truly couldn't stop crying. It was like all my motherly emotions swelled together. There was my posterity! He was so cute in his little suit, yelling "Jesus came to John the Baptist" at the top of his lungs on the front row. It was as if his entire life flashed before me. I knew this was simply the beginning of many miraculous and challenging experiences to come. My sweet, sweet son was starting to build his testimony of Jesus Christ. I couldn't have been more proud. (Until he starting to eat his tie at least)

The whole program was quite a spectacle. I am so thankful to all the leaders who invested time and effort into this opportunity. When my son finally came to the microphone and said "Adam and Eve were the first family on earth", my heart just melted. I have not felt such gratitude since the very day Taylor was born. Despite the lame attempts at bribery, it made me truly grateful to be a parent.

2 comments:

{lex} said...

good job Taylor! Good job mom and dad!

Leslie said...

It was adorable. He is such a great kid, thanks to his awesome parents.